Walking is good for you. It reduces the risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis and certain cancers.
- Posture: maintain an upright but comfortable posture with your neck, upper back and shoulders relaxed.
- Core: gently pull your stomach in, gently squeeze your buttocks together.
- Stride: make each step comfortably and naturally.
- Pace: walk at a purposeful pace, you should not be gasping for air.
- Fluid intake; be sure to drink plenty of water before, during and after walking.
Aim to walk 60 minutes per day, 7 days a week.
Every week add 5 minutes to your walk until you are walking 60 minutes per day 7 days a week.
The average walking stride is 2.5 feet long.
It takes just over 2,000 steps to walk a mile.
Do not walk with hand weights.
Replace your walking shoes every 300-500 miles (every 3-6 months).